bespoke Oak Staircases
All of our bespoke oak staircases are designed and made to order, including the staircase recently commissioned by Sarah Beeny, for her TV Series, New Life in the Country. Everything we produce is entirely bespoke, which means our clients are very much involved in the detailed design process. This could involve anything from selecting a baluster design or choosing the style of carving on a newel post, to deciding on the finished colour.
We design and make all styles of bespoke oak staircases. From hand-carved oak Tudor staircases with elaborate finials, grand sweeping Georgian style staircases with monkey tail handrails and ornate turned balusters, to a single flight of oak treads and risers. All of our staircases are made from the finest quarter sawn oak and once hand polished, exude a unique patina and shine.
Whether you require a three-storey hand carved solid oak staircase for a Manor House, or some simple turned oak finials for a country cottage, we would be pleased to discuss the options available to you.
How do I commission a bespoke oak Staircase?
After a brief discussion about what style of staircase you are interested in and the rough size indication, we give you some estimation of cost.
A site survey enables us to produce working drawings for you to approve. Discussing the finer design details such as finials, turnings and newel posts creates a design very much unique to you. Bespoke colour samples are prepared for your consideration.
Manufacture then begins. The finest quarter sawn oak boards are selected from our stock. These are carefully machined and jointed together by hand.
All our work is then polished by hand, matching your approved sample. We use water based stains, shellac sealers and a traditional beeswax polish.
Your joinery will be delivered to site with our team of talented craftsmen installing at your convenience.
We then give one final buff which gives our timber a unique patina only achievable using quarter sawn, hand polished oak.
- Over 40 years’ experience
- Bespoke oak staircase design to your exact specifications
- Specialists in period details including Medieval, Tudor, Renaissance, Elizabethan, Jacobean, Georgian, Classical and Arts & Crafts styles
- Fully integrated solid oak multi-storey staircases or simple oak treads and risers
- New builds, or period properties; private homes, commercial properties or historic buildings
- Restoration and/or replication of period oak joinery
- Turned oak or hand carved oak balusters, newel posts and finials
- Hand finished to a bespoke sample chosen by yourself
- Installed by our skilled team of specialist joiners
- Typical project values from £5,000 to £100,000+
“Taking their inspiration from the late medieval times up to the start of the 18th century, the group can claim to to have led the revival of English oak furniture making”
Richard Shiner – Limited Edition Magazine