Westcountry Barn Conversion
A medieval theme was the design brief for the conversion of this C18th threshing barn in Somerset. Stuart Interiors worked directly with the client to design and manufacture joinery and furniture for several areas including the Great Hall, Dining Hall, Kitchen and Mezzanine.
Inspiration for the solid oak plank & muntin panelling in the Great Hall came from a photograph of original period joinery in Wales, featuring an ogee arched opening. Also specially designed and made for the Great Hall was a medieval style hooded fireplace in stone.
An original medieval cupboard from Aubazine, France, provided design inspiration throughout the Kitchen. A replica of this cupboard is used as a store cupboard and the arched doors continue as a theme throughout the kitchen joinery. Hand forged ironwork is a strong feature and this was specially designed and made for the project.
The oak and steel spiral staircase rises to a Mezzanine above, the shaped slats inspired by an original spiral staircase from Spain.
- Bespoke design of all joinery elements, working directly with the client
- Plank & muntin oak panelling and arched opening for the Great Hall
- Solid oak doors, liners and architraves throughout, fire-rated where required
- Oak faux beams and integrated air conditioning system
- Bespoke oak spiral staircase and mezzanine gallery
- Medieval style hooded fireplace in stone
- Solid oak and upholstered furniture including large oak dining table and benches, Knole settees, low table and oak & leather chairs
- Complete project management from initial design suggestions, to full working drawings, manufacture and site installation